How many students are there at Abacus College and Oxford Language Centre?

There are usually around 100 students studying on both long term academic courses and year round English language courses.

What is a typical class size?

Most classes typically consist of between 8 and 10 students. However, in some IGCSE and A Level classes there are as few as 3-5 students. This makes us unique, enabling us to focus on your personal academic needs.

Which countries do the students come from?

Abacus College and Oxford Language Centre attract a wide range of nationalities. At present we have about 30 different nationalities studying with us.

Do you have wireless internet at the college?

Yes, wireless internet is available throughout the college and is completely free.


How can I apply for a course?

If you wish to apply for an academic course, click here

If you wish to apply for an English language course, click here

How long will it take to process my application?

We pride ourselves on being able to respond quickly and efficiently to all enquiries and endeavour to process all applications within 24 hours of receipt.

Is there a closing date for applications?

No, there is no official closing date for receiving applications. However, given that all of the course and accommodation options we offer are subject to availability, we recommend that you apply as far in advance as possible, to ensure that you have the best chance of getting a place on your preferred course and in your preferred accommodation.

What deposit is required in order to be accepted onto a course?

The exact deposit will depend on the course for which you are applying. A deposit of £500 is required for English language courses of up to 6 months (including Summer School), a deposit of £1,000 is required for English language courses of between 6 and 11 months and a deposit of £2,000 is required for all academic courses.

Will I require a pre-sessional English course before my University Foundation Programme/ A Level course?

To join one of our University Foundation Programmes or one of our A Level courses you will require an IELTS of 5.0 or equivalent. If your level is lower than the minimum requirement then yes, you will require a pre-sessional English course first. You may take an IELTS Exam Preparation course in our partner college, Oxford Language Centre

Which English language test providers are accepted for entry to an academic course?

The following two SELT English language tests are currently accepted by the UKVI: IELTS and Trinity College London. For further details, click here

Do I need to take a UKVI approved English language test in order to be accepted for just an English language course?

A UKVI approved English language test is not necessary if you are planning on studying an English language course for up to six months. For entry onto this length of course, Oxford Language Centre’s own English language test will be sufficient. However, if you are planning on studying an English language course for more than six months, then we recommend that you take one of the UKVI approved English language tests, i.e. IELTS or Trinity College London.

How long will it take for me to be issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)?

We will endeavour to issue your CAS within 48 hours of receiving both your signed offer, your deposit payment and evidence of your funds confirming that you have sufficient funds in your account for a full 28 days.

Will I require two separate CAS’s if I take an English course before my academic course?

If you require an English course of more than 3 months before your main academic course, you will require a Short Term Study Visa. Once you have completed your English course, you will then be issued with a CAS, which you may use to obtain a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa or a Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa for your academic course.


Do I require a visa to study in the UK?

If you are a national of the European Economic Area (EU plus Norway and Iceland) or Switzerland, you do not require a visa. However, if you are from outside of the EU, EEA or Switzerland, then yes you will require a visa to study in the UK.

How do I apply for a Student Visa to come to the UK?

For up-to-date information on how to apply for a visa to come and study in the UK, click here

My English language level is lower than CEFR B1. Can I apply for a General Student Visa?

No. If your level of English is lower than CEFR B1 and you are aged 18 years or older, then you may either apply for a Short Term Study Visa, which will enable you to study English only for a maximum of 11 months.

Will I be refunded my deposit if my visa is refused?

Yes, if you are refused a visa we will refund your full deposit minus the registration fee. Registration fees for 2016 are as follows: £200 for academic courses and £100 for year round English language courses.

How do I apply for a visa extension?

If you are aged 18 or over and need to extend your Tier 4 Adult (General) Student visa, click here for further details and an application form.

If you are aged 17 or younger and need to extend your Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa, click here for further details and an application form.

Getting to university

Does an A Level course or a University Foundation Programme at Abacus College guarantee me entry to a British university?

Provided you successfully complete your A Level course or your University Foundation Programme, then you will meet the requirements for entry to a British university.

How do I apply for entry to a British university?

You will need to apply through UCAS, a British organisation responsible for managing applications to higher education courses in the UK. We will provide you with all the support and assistance you need on completing your UCAS application form and will also provide you with an academic reference for you to submit with your application. For full details on the UCAS application procedure, click here


How do I open a bank account?

You will only be able to open a bank account if you are enrolled on one of our courses for at least six months. If this applies to you, then you will need a letter from the college which you may obtain from us on your first day.

How do I register with the police?

You will only need to register with the police if there is a stamp in your passport requesting you to do so and this will need to be done within 7 days of arriving in the UK. In order to register, you will need to complete a simple registration form, which we will help you complete on your first day at the college. You will then need to personally visit the police station in Oxford with the following: your completed registration form; your passport; two passport-sized photographs; and an administration payment of £34 in cash.

How do I register with a doctor?

If you are enrolled on a course for at least six months, then you are entitled to free care on the National Health Service (NHS). You will have the opportunity to register with a local doctor on your first day at the college.


Where will I live during my studies?

You may choose to live either with a British homestay or in a private home and we can arrange one of these options for you. We really encourage you to stay with a British homestay, as this environment provides you with the best opportunity to improve your English and experience British life and culture. For further details on our accommodation options, please click here

Will I have to share a room?

No. If you are studying on an academic course or on a year round English language course, you will have your own private study bedroom. Summer School students are however required to share a room.

Do your homestays cater for Muslim diets?

Yes, all our homestays are flexible and cater for Muslim diets, ie. no pork/ham products and no alcohol. Some of our homestays will also gladly serve halal meat upon request.


How much money should I budget for to allow for living expenses?

The exact amount will depend on your individual circumstances and lifestyle, however, as a rough guide, we recommend that you allocate a minimum of £820 per month to cover living expenses, such as accommodation, food, travel, books, etc.

Does the college offer a sports and social programme?

Yes, we run a variety of sports and social activities throughout the year and many of these are organised by our Student Forum. Click here for further details.